Friday, May 25, 2007

Carnivals and the Happy Dance

I’m knee deep in carnivals! The Georgia Carnival is up over at Georgia On My Mind. There are several good postings, however, don’t miss Griftdrift’s Innocence Lost, a three parter from his blog Drifting Through the Grift. It was very thought provoking for me and brought to mind many memories of my own elementary school days.

Another stand out from the Georgia Carnival was Otter’s reading challenge. Most of us who read generally choose texts about things we like, things we agree with, and things that are within our comfort zone. What about reading to challenge our thinking? What about reading something that might challenge your views on a topic? I believe this is a worthy undertaking for everyone. Go check out New Notions 5 Reading Challenge-- -Join Now! over at Grasping for the Wind.

This is Memorial Day weekend. Fellow Georgian, Miss Vickie from Beyond the Crossroads reminds us about the true purpose behind the holiday in her post, A Memorial Day Post With a Little Help.

Finally, today was my last day with students. It was another challenging day, but we had no major problems. Awards were given out in our classrooms and students received their letter from me. There were lots of tears (students are ready for the summer, but suddenly realize vacation means goodbye) and cheers. I posted a link to my end of the year letter earlier this week, but you can link to it here. Another Georgia teacher, Terrell, at Alone on a Limb uses poetry to say goodbye to students. Check out his post here. Make sure you check out Terrell’s anthology of poems he shares with his fourth graders as well…..he posts a different poem each week.

The 120th Education Carnival, hosted by I Thought a Think can be found here, and the 27th edition of Carnivalesque can be found here. It's all about Ancient and Medival history with a little archeology thrown in over at Aardvarchaeology.

And yes………It was the last day of school, so I am presently doing the happy dance!

6 comments:

CaliforniaTeacherGuy said...

Last day of school? Oh, you lucky lady, you!

Butterfly Angel said...

Yay............

We can do the 'happy dance' together!

It's raining cats and dogs ~I think it is ironic since we have been blessed with rain since the students got out.

Enjoy your well deserved vacation.

ttfn!

Mrs. Bluebird said...

Dance Away! You deserve it!

Bellezza said...

Last day of school...you luck! We go until June ELEVENTH! Due to two snow days, and starting later than everyone else. Happy beginning of summer.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations and have a well-deserved rest! I don't get a break until October, so I am pea-green!

EHT said...

October! Yikes....I don't know if I could do it...I really don't. I'm ready for a rest.