Thursday, July 07, 2011

Identifying Andrew Jackson's Property

Over the Fourth of July holiday I was fortunate enough to make a stop at Andrew Jackson’s home, Hermitage, in Nashville, Tennessee.

Unfortunately, President Jackson was out, but he had left behind all sorts of interesting things for me to look at.
I thought I’d post them for a quick little game.  Don’t worry though…the answers are right here.
Go on and take a look and then at the bottom of the post you will find my link to more pictures from Jackson’s lovely home.

Okay…what’s this?

It looks like carved ivory, doesn’t it?   It carried something both men and women used during Jackson’s time.     Yes, this little crab-shaped item has a little box in it that carried snuff.   You could slip it in your pocket.   I can just imagine the conversations it would start when Jackson brought it out during a meeting.
Okay….what about this????     Forgive my fat fingers and the not-too-focused image.   I never promised you that I was an expert at photography.


I had no idea what this was.  I just admired the lovely green color.   
It’s a cup plate.
Now don’t confuse this with a saucer….they are two totally different things. 
 
Cup plates were used in the 18th and early 19th centuries.   In those days tea was served in cups without handles.   You would pour your tea into your saucer (yes, you are reading this right) and drink FROM YOUR SAUCER!  

….and I just thought my  Papa Blanton was a country bumpkin when he did it years and years ago at our breakfast table. 
Anyway, while you were drinking from your saucer you had to rest your cup somewhere and that’s what the cup plate was for.   It was used to protect the table from the tea.

Last, but not least do you know what this is? 

Who said a pocket knife?    Nope….that’s not what it is, but good guess.
It’s a lancet.

LANCET.     They were used to open the veins during a blood-letting.    See further explanation here.
You can find more of my pictures (one or two were made by Mr. EHT) over at American Presidents Blog here.

1 comment:

mary said...

I had no idea of that use for the saucer. That may explain the deep bowl shape that many old saucers have.