Monday, August 01, 2011

Another Academic Year Begins

So…in my neck of the woods many had the first day of school while other had their first day of pre-planning.  

What was it for you?

A fellow teacher and friend of mine posted this last night on Facebook, and I felt I needed to share it here.  You may have seen variations of this on the web or in one of those emails that tend to end up in your inbox that has been forwarded hither and yon.

My friend tells me she changed a few things here and there to match her own situation.

I say BRAVO!.....and may everyone involved in education from the board office to the bus drivers have a most wonderful year!!!

T'was the night before school starts

And all through the place,

Not a smile was seen

On any teacher’s face.

Our bags were all stuffed

With tea bags and glue,

And rulers and pencils

With erasers to chew.

Mournfully we

All crawled into bed to sleep tight,

But we know that the good life is way out of sight.

Then the hubby cames in whistling

And kissed me goodnight,

With a bright cheery voice

That didn't seem right.

The night dragged on slowly

I just couldn't sleep,

For fear that my students

Would all be real creeps.

Or maybe Principal Pollard

Would give me a shove,

Or even more evil things

Than I could think of.

When from in the next room

There arose such a clamber,

When my husband starts yelling,

"I'm free 'till next summer!"

This must be a plot

By conspiring foes,

Who just want a break

While they pamper their toes.

Oh, must I go through it?!

How can I go on?

I want to escape

Run off to Saigon!

Ten months is too long

To suffer through school

The class is so rough

And students so cruel.

"Come Donald! Come Conner!

Come Henry VanStation!

Come up to the board,

Do your multiplication!"

"And Julie, stop talking!

And Jimmy, wake up!

And Mary, right now,

Don't you make me say shut-up!

And so every year

About this same time,

I lie in bed sleepless

And just moan and whine.

Until morning comes,

And I hear my hubby say,

"Good luck with your school!

And have a nice day!"

6 comments:

miss melissa said...

Hi! Our school starts in 3 weeks, and I can't believe it! My planbook is almost complete through the end of the first quarter, and I won't go farther than that just yet, because you never know! I used to tell my students we'd all learn to be Gumby; I stopped saying that -- it just makes me feel old.

trish said...

Even though I'm not a teacher, I loved that poem!

Also, I just wanted to let you know I sent you an email. I hope it didn't go to spam!

EHT said...

Miss Melissa, that flexibility thing just does with the territory of teaching, doesn't it? If it is not the kids or the parents you bend for it's the administrators and politicians. :)

Thanks for visiting, Trish. I'll look for that email and let you know.

Virtualhse said...

Hey you shared this poem here, i always love it.
Thanks for sharing this here...

Dan Edwards said...

I hope you have a Great year teaching them students of yours! Be happy and stay healthy!

kelly from teachertime123.com said...

A fun poem for all of us teachers....the parents, however, using this humorous poem:

Twas the night before school started,
When all through the town,
The parents were cheering.
It was a riotous sound!
By eight, kids were washed
And tucked into bed...
When memories of homework...filled them with dread!

New pencils, new folders, new notebooks, too!
New teachers, new friends...their anxiety grew!
The parents just giggled when they learned of this fright
And shouted upstairs-...
GO TO BED-IT'S A SCHOOL NIGHT!