Thursday, September 28, 2006

Is It Friday Yet? At Least It's Carnival Time

I don’t know about you, but this has been an exausting week for me. I have more and more “things to do” than things I can count as “ta-dahs” (finished items). Nine week benchmark tests are looming and after 11 days of testing we are furiously attempting to tie up loose content ends.

One bright spot has been Studentteacherguy. He has been great. He has pitched right in, put with up the last week of CRAZY SCHOOL during our final days of testing, and is firm but friendly with the students. He is learning so much, and I am learning from him.

Studenteacherguy’s main focus during this time in the classroom is to teach science and math. Today he worked with my homeroom doing a science activity in the hallway. Part of the plan involved using toilit paper where kids had to measure and figure out distances between planets. As I taught my third and fourth period Language Arts classes my homeroom students were in the hallway busy with the activity. Every now and then a student would catch my eye through the windows around my classroom door and we would smile and wave to each other. That was the only hint an activity was taking place. They never disturbed us. Studentteacherguy has good control over the students. He took several pictures to document the activity. I hope to post a few here when he emails them to me later.

The 86th Education Carnival is up over at the Education Wonks here. There are several thought provoking posts to peruse through so go take a ride on the ferris wheel.

One particular post that grabbed my attention concerned a blogger whose son was forced to stand and say the pledge though he highly objects to the “under God” section of the pledge.

I’m interested. What do you think? Does the pledge have a place in our classrooms? What is your procedure if a student objects to reciting the pledge?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

So the kid doesn't say "under God"
I taught at a private religious school and we were required to recite with our students specific prayers and creeds. I simply did not say those words, with which I did agree.

It will not hurt the kid to stand and honor a country that allows the freedom for him to not be comfortable with that phrase

Anonymous said...

When I was in fifth grade we had a teacher at our school (our building was 2 fifths and 2 sixths) who was a fairly modern "hippie". I was near him a few times and realized he didn't say "under God". He said the whole rest of the pledge. As a 10 year old it made me think. He believed in his country, but not in my God. And he was confident enough to not hide it.

We do live in America after all.

Anonymous said...

October / 2006

We are interested in learning more about history blogs and in finding ways to promote them. To aid in this effort, we are circulating a small questionnaire and will make the results available in Tapera (in Spanish) and in Digital History Hacks (in English). If you wish to participate, please return the questionnaire to tapera@tapera.info
Thank you very much.

William Turkel - Digital History Hacks - http://digitalhistoryhacks.blogspot.com/
Nicolás Quiroga – Tapera – http://tapera.info


Blog:
URL:
Authors:
First post (mm/dd/Y):

Questions:
1. Which history-related blogs do you visit most frequently? (1-5)
2. What factors do you think are involved in your choice of blogs to read? (For example: quality of information, writing, institution, author profile, rankings, entertainment value...)
3. What factors characterize your own blog? Which are most important?
4. Have you changed the objectives of your blog since you created it?

EHT said...

Interesting points.

Onyx, while you and I would teach our own children to stand as a matter of respect can we make a child stand if they don't wish to? Can they be respectful while they sit?

Lady S, how do you feel about a teacher who doesn't stand and recite any of the pledge and doesn't provide an atmosphere where anyone else can do it either?

Anonymous said...

That pledge thing is a very tough thing. Many of my kids lack Englsih proficiency, so I don't insist they recite the pledge. I'd be very upset, however, if any refused to stand and show respect for the country in which they live.

I'm fortunate that hasn't happened, though I understand it is their right to decline.

graycie said...

Here, the law says that a student may sit quietly during the pledge. I always talk about what the flag stands for in terms of their own lives -- that they are not slaves, that they can choose what they will do for a living, that they are in a classroom all together getting a free education -- and I request that they stand quietly during the pledge to show that respect. (I'm an army brat who grew up during the Cold War. I have pretty strong feelings here. Sometimes I tell a couple of stories from that connection.) I've never had a kid refuse after that.