Wednesday, March 24, 2010

I Need a Mulligan!

It is golf season around my house these days. I’m finding golf tees in the washing machine, golf clubs dumped by the front door and assorted golf gloves thrown into my back seat.

No….Tiger Woods hasn’t been hiding out at my house, and Mr. ElementaryHistoryTeacher has been far too busy at work to be on the golf course himself.

Me?

Heavens, no! I’m not the golfer of the family.

The golfer at my house these days is Dear Daughter. This is her second season as a member of her high school’s golf team, and if our weather would warm up and dry out she might actually have a good season.

I’d hate for her to have to ask for a mulligan for the entire season.

A mulligan?

Oh, that’s a golf term – it means to do something over – a second chance to perform a certain move or action. A mulligan is not normally part of official play, but it is an acceptable practice among friends.

You and I……we’re friends, aren’t we?

I hope so because I need my dear readers to grant me a mulligan of sorts.

You see for the last several week’s I’ve tried to keep the blogging thing going while attempting to finish a book. The working title for the book is 1620 Days: My Walk Through an American Classroom. The book includes history, classroom situations, and education reform issues. Many of the situations discussed have not previously been published here at History Is Elementary. My intention is for it be an open and honest look at my classroom over a period of nine years.

The process of bouncing back from two major hospital stays within six months, writing the book, and keeping the blogs alive with fresh material has been a wee bit challenging. I’ve finally had to accept that I can’t keep doing both.

Who knew? I’m not superwoman.

In order to get the book finished I’m going to declare this season of spring as the season of the mulligan here at History Is Elementary as well as my other two blogs….Georgia on My Mind and Got Bible?.

For the next few weeks I will be re-posting some of my past efforts at all three of my blogs for your reading pleasure. I hope that you enjoy rereading old favorites or find new material you missed the first time around.

I just hope my season of mulligan posts don’t turn out to be finnegans – another golf term where the do-over shot is worse than the first attempt.

I’m off to write, and write, and write, but I’ll check in often, and I’ll keep you advised on the book’s progress.....and if you are a book publisher or literary agent you are more than welcome to contact me regarding my book. :)

Thanks for your support!

6 comments:

Matthew K. Tabor said...

I know what you mean about being bogged down - it's good to hear that you're still trudging on with this project in spite of hitting a few bumps.

I'm no agent or publisher, but after reading your site religiously for so long now - 3 years, for sure - I'm certainly looking forward to what you come up with!

EHT said...

Hi Matthew! Thanks for the comment and the compliment. Thanks for reading my efforts here and.....you're not so bad yourself. :)

Matthew said...

Hmm, 1 book, 3 blogs, and hospital stays on top of that? You deserve a mulligan or two!

I enjoy this blog and I look forward to reading some of your older posts that I, being a newish reader, have missed.

Good luck with your book!

Dan Edwards said...

Sweetie, you MUST do what you need to do for you. Part of teaching is rolling with the tide (aka: flexibility). DO let us know where to buy your book ! I want one ! (as long as its personally signed by the author! ).

So, last Sunday, Diane Ravich (sp?) was on C-Span Book TV.....won't that be cool to see you there talking about your new book and teaching history !!!!!

EHT said...

Thanks Matthew....I appreciate the kind words.

Polski3....my dear, dear Polski! Yes, that "flexibility" thing shows its ugly head all the time...sometimes to our advantage....sometimes not.

Yes, of course I will let you know when and if the book if available....and yes, signed personally to my great blogging friend. :)

I'd love to be on C-Span....if they would let me. Hmmmm....what would I wear?

HappyChyck said...

What a great idea! I'm sure there is a lot of buried treasure that we'd like to find again!