Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Good Intentions and the Paperwork Fairy

I've really had good intentions over the last few days but paperwork has gotten in the way. I'm frustrated---really frustrated. Over the last few days I've thought about several things I could post. My ideas usually run through my head and then I have to frantically find pen and paper so I won't forget them. Unfortunately though the Paperwork Fairy landed on my desk around February 1 and she crapped all over it. So all of the ideas that have run through my head on my drives to and from school or late at night when the house is finally silent has had to wait. Very frustrating.........

Currently my desk contains the following papers-------
*3 student write up forms in duplicate
*assorted parent notes that need to be filed
*requisition forms for my team's supply needs
*student writing samples that need to be filed
*a remediation form to fill out for students who did not master sections of curriculum for the
last marking period
*notes from team members regarding concerns they want me to report to leadership
*team meeting agendas that need to be filed
*my plan book with various notes, forms, and mail tucked into the pages
*a survey to complete concerning ways to improve our school (Where's the place to check
decrease paperwork?)
*a list of questions and reading passages for our next benchmark test----it has to be typed
up by Friday
*Progress reports that go home tomorrow----they have to be signed and comments written
*Expense forms to use for a conference I am attending next week
*a student to student note I took up ("Do u lik me? Chick yes or no")
*2 articles about backwards design I have to have read by Friday---Yikes, there might
be a test.....
*4 substitute lesson plans to be filled out by Friday morning for a 1/2 day Friday and
Monday through Wednesday
*a stack of copies and lesson attachments I have collected this week that must be sorted and
placed with the appropriate sub plan for next week
*a counseling request to have our school counselor meet with our fourth graders because we
have had too many instances of our boys calling each other queer and other assorted
synonyms for that word
*a manila folder full of new magazines from Kids Discover on the American Revolution---my
next unit
*forms the nurse needs me to fill out for a diabetic student
*forms to complete for the counselor-----a student has told me her family is moving to a
homeless shelter
*3 phone message slips (2 vendors, 1 ex-student who calls periodically and leaves me
messages)
*a stack of lesson plan ideas that I keep meaning to get to but some of them are still on
my desk from the first year I taught
*fieldtrip forms with a Post-It note attached to tell me who hasn't turned in their form
and finally----a to do list telling me about the other things I need to do-----notes to write,
emails to send, copies to make.

Calgon.....take me away!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've seen this before 8th grade history teacher. Thanks for the reminder.