Saturday, April 05, 2008

Digging Holes

I used to love to dig holes in my yard. Didn’t you? I made forts, playhouses, roads…..I lived in my imagination back then, and it is one major difference I often see between my childhood and many of the children I teach. They don't use their imaginations enough. They want every activity they engage in "told" to them or pre-prepared for them.

The boys described in the article referred to below are thankfully using their imaginations. In the process they have become associates of the imaginary Indiana Jones and the real Leakey family.

LAWRENCEVILLE, GA. - What began as a project to build an imaginary fort turned into an archeological dig for a trio of Dacula middle schoolers. A couple of weeks ago, Austin Bannister, 12, and Tyler Moore, 13, were digging a makeshift barracks in a wooded nature preserve in their neighborhood when they encountered some rusted metal. They began to dig, enlisting Tyler's twin brother, Austin, to help, and soon they discovered……

Head on over to the article recently published in the Gwinnett Daily News.

4 comments:

Gaspare Armato said...

Sorry, take note: my new history blog is:

www.babilonia61.com

Thanks for your atencion.
Rino, from Italy

EHT said...

Oops, I was supposed to correct it and I forgot. Thanks for the reminder and congrats on your own private address with no "blogspot, etc" attached to it. I need to do that! I will correct it today.

Le Butterfly said...

Sounds like a lot of fun.

Simone’s Butterfly: Spring Photos

Bodog said...

Anybody got a soapbox I can borrow? I have got to get on one...

My wife and I decided early on when we started having children what we would allow and not allow...We don't have cable and live far enough out that the amount of foil necessary to make receptive "rabbit ears" is cost preventative. Avoid electronic toys. If the cars are going to rumble, the children have to do the rumbling.

The result: While my children, during our string of birthdays, have been asking for Transformers, they actually spend more time pretending to be Transformers themselves than actually playing with the toys. My oldest son (age 6) writes his own books, makes his own board games, and actually made homemade transformers, one out of Lego blocks and one out of paper.

I don't think my children would be as active or imaginative if they watched more television and had toys that did all the playing for them. But that's just one opinion