Thursday, April 10, 2008

Is It Friday Yet?

The newest edition of the Education Carnival can be found over at The Elementary Educator. As I’ve been known to say over and over and over….walk, walk, walk, DON’T run!

I noticed today that I had been challenged to participate in a meme over at Eoin Purcell's Blog called Book Meme Tagging. Here are the rules:

1. Pick up the nearest book
2. Open to page 123
3. Find the fifth sentence
4. Post the next three sentences
5. Tag five people and acknowledge who tagged you.

So here goes…..the closest book I have next to me is in a brown envelope that was just delivered today. I have an advance copy of Washington....The Making of the American Capitol by Fergus M. Bordewich. I am looking forward to reading the book and reviewing it here at History Is Elementary in a few days.

Turning to page 123 the sixth, seventh and eighth sentences relate:

It was also at this time that Thornton learned of the design competition for the United States Capitol. He threw himself into the project, which brought him welcome distraction from the continuing mockery of his fellow island whites. The pungent smell of sugar being rendered into molasses and rum filled the humid air as, day and night, he worked at his sketches, oblivious to the thrum of rain on the giant bulletwood trees, and the thud of waves on the shore of nearby Sea Cow Bay.

The link I've provided for Thornton (above) takes you to two postings I've written concerning William Thornton.

I can’t wait to get into this book!

I’m tagging……Mrs. Mecomber, Polski3, Mister Teacher, MDawg, and Mrs. Bluebird

No comments: