Friday, July 07, 2006

Arrrrh! Need a Hook?

Cinderella, over at World of Royalty reports here that Blackbeard’s flagship, Queen Anne’s Revenge, has been found off the coast of North Carolina. There is a link to a clip from the BBC.

Arrrrh! Just in time for the release of the movie Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man’s Chest which opens today. See the movie trailer here.

As I checked out some of the available resources, I began to think that this information on Blackbeard and the efforts to research the ship might be a great vehicle to introduce the preservation side of history as well as the difference between primary and secondary documents. Pirate tales might be the thing to hook em’ the first week of school.

Hmmmm…..I may just need to work on a power point for that.

You can find lots of Blackbeard resources here , here, here, and finally here. So, go find out everything you can about Blackbeard, or you might just have to suffer the consequence.

What would that be? Why walking the plank, my friend!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You may be interested in a 2 hour National Geographic special on Blackbeard. Blackbeard: Terror at Sea (which will be on tonight again at 9pm EST) was an entertaining and pretty informative dramatization of 2 of his years as the pirate we all know and love. I don't know your students' age group so I'm not sure how appropriate it would be, but I do hope that you at least catch this comment in time to watch the show tonight.

Yarrrrr.

EHT said...

I caught some of the Blackbeard show on National Geographic the other night (Thursday, I believe). It was pretty good----I came in in the middle of it and did think it was fairly G-rated until I saw the part about him sharing his wife with his crew and then no one ever heard from her again. That part would land me on the 5 o'clock news. It would be great for high school kids though. Thanks for the info......