Every year I sit through Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer at least twice. I believe I actually enjoy watching it more as an adult than I ever did as a child mainly because I get more chances to see it than just the one time. This year Dear Hubby and I watch it all alone as our children think they are "too old" (22 and amost 15).
Here are 13 lines from the show followed by a few “did ya knows”:
1. Upon learning that the Island of Misfit Toys is only for toys Yukon Cornelius says to Hermey and Rudolph, “How do you like that? Even among misfits your’re misfits.”
2. King Moonraiser says, “A toy is never truly happy until it is loved by a child.” That's one reason why I never wanted to give my toys away.....I was afraid they would think I didn't love them.
3. Mrs. Donner after seeing Rudolph’s glowing nose for the first time, “We’ll simply have to overlook it. Donner responds, “How can you overlook that? His beak blinks like a blinking beacon.”
4. Santa says, “Great bouncing icebergs!”
5. Yukon Cornelius to Rudolph: Douse your nose and run like crazy!
6. Santa says, “How can I eat? That silly elf song is driving me crazy!” I always thought it was neat that something bothered Santa.
7. After returning from what looks to be a fatal fall from a cliff Yukon Cornelius states, “Did I ever tell you about bumbles? Bumbles bounce! The scene where he falls of the cliff was really traumatic for me as a child...I always forgot that he came walking back at the end.
8. Sam the Snowman says, “Meanwhile, the elves are bustling with activity. Christmas is over, but they still keep busy with lessons in elf improvement.” Gee, even elves have staff development.
9. The Head Elf to Hermey: “Now listen, you, you’re an elf and elves make toys. Now get to work.”
10. Sam, the Snowman says, “Like I said, the outside world is up to its ears in danger.”
11. Coach Comet tells all of the other reindeer, “From now on, gang, we won’t let Rudolph join in any reindeer games.”
12. Speaking to his dogs Yukon Cornelius says, “Whoa, Whoa. Unmush, will ya?”
13. ….and my personal favorite….Hermey says, “Well, someday I’d like to be a dentist!”
Did ya’ know…..
*Hermey is the only elf without pointed ears?
*When Santa’s sleigh finally takes off into the storm near the end of the film, it’s being pulled by SIX reindeer instead of eight, with Rudolph leading the way. Dear Hubby pointed this out to me the other night.
*Most of the singing and speaking cast were Canadian.
*Yukon Cornelius’ stalwart sled dogs include a beagle, a Scottie, a cocker spaniel, a poodle, and a chihuahua!
*After an outcry of protest insisting on a happy ending for the Misfit Toys, new scenes were animated depicting Santa’s sleigh rescuing them and finding homes for them all.
*When Yukon Cornelius throws his pic axe into the ground and takes it out and licks it, he’s checking neither for gold nor silver. The original concept for the special stated that Yukon was in fact searching for the elusive peppermint mine, which he found eventually.
Enjoy other Thursday Thirteens here