Tuesday, January 01, 2008

What Are You Eating For New Year's?

Happy New Year! In case you haven’t noticed I haven’t posted in a few days. I took a self-imposed blog holiday to do mommie things like clean house, wash clothes, grocery shop, help Dear Daughter spend her Christmas money and help her prepare for a ski trip with her youth group. I also took some time to speak with Dear Son as he comes and goes between his many social engagements. I think the kids enjoyed not seeing a computer attached to my lap.

I decided to check in though to wish everyone in the blogosphere who might stop by a very happy new year. Blogging might be spotty over the next few days, but regular posting will resume next week. I will be posting links to the Education Carnival tomorrow and the Georgia Carnival on Friday. The Georgia Carnival will be one year old! In the meantime you can choose a month from my archives and scroll through. Maybe you’ll find something interesting you missed before.

So, back to my title…everyone has customs and traditions especially to mark the beginning of a new year. My family is no different. Over at Georgia on My Mind I posted Looking Ahead to New Year's Day where I provide two recipes for dishes that mark the new year for my family as well as the reasoning why I eat something I don’t particularly love. There are some great pictures with the post my daughter took on my father’s property. The first picture doesn’t totally show up, but if you click on it you can see one of the huge oak trees on the property as well as one of the few farm buildings that is left….an old corn crib.

and again,

Happy New Year! May you realize all of your hopes and dreams in 2008.

7 comments:

loonyhiker said...

Happy New Year! I checked out your recipes too so thanks! I hope I will try them some time. We are having black eyed peas and collard greens which we have every year. Obviously this is a southern tradition because growing up north, I never had either one of these.

Duez said...

We always slow cook pork. It is a long held tradition on my mother's side of the family to have pork as good luck for the new year.

My grandmother even has a full pork dinner at the stroke of midnight. They go all out.

For us, we just slow cook it during the day - the smell from the crock pot is a nice addition to new year's day.

Happy New Year!

EHT said...

Looneyhiker, I do believe that collard greens and black-eyed peas are a southern thing. That's why they are so good.

Hi 40! I can smell that pork cooking now. Mmmmmmmm!

Anonymous said...

our new years tradition is to relax. that's it, keep it simple. there's usually black eyed peas and ham involved during at least one meal.

Anonymous said...

Every year, my mother cooks black-eyed peas and collard greens, which represent wealth and prosperity in the New Year. The greens represent the dollar bills, and the peas the pennies.

Dan Edwards said...

For my family, I fixed cornbread (made from scratch), turnip greens, black eyed peas with ham and some good lime-crusted talipia fish. Had chopped onion, peppers to go with the black eye peas and some limon juice for the greens.

Half of me is Polski, while the other half hails from a southern tradition.....

EHT said...

Miss Profe, I loved your post about Frederick Douglass but your site wouldn't let me comment. I'll try to do it here when I get a minute.

Polski, I love your Texas take on your New Year's dishes!