Wednesday, February 20, 2008

13 Things About Elizabeth Cady Stanton

1. Her father Daniel Cady was hoping for a boy when Elizabeth was born in 1815.

2. Elizabeth got a lifelong exposure to the law in that her father was a lawyer, assemblyman, and congressman.

3. She excelled in Greek, Latin, and Math at Troy Female Seminary.

4. She married Henry Brewster Stanton, a prominent abolitionist. At first Elizabeth’s father objected to the match because Stanton had no means of support, but relented when Stanton agreed to legal training with his father-in-law.

5. Because the young couple were only focused on reforms they never obtained the type of wealth Elizabeth Cady Stanton’s parents or sisters enjoyed.

6. She had the word obey omitted from her wedding ceremony and then spent her honeymoon at the Anti-Slavery Convention held in 1840 in the city of London. She was a little miffed when women were not included as delegates at the convention.

7. In July, 1848 she spoke out for a women’s rights convention with Lucretia Mott and others. Later she drafted the Seneca Falls Declaration of Sentiments radically calling for the right to vote.

8. Susan B. Anthony also became a great friend of Staton. Together they spoke out against laws that discriminated against married women including statutes that denied married women the right to own property or even hold the guardianship of their children.

9. While many of the leaders of the early movement for women’s rights focused mainly on suffrage Elizabeth Cady Staton spoke out on many different issues involving women’s rights including equal wages and liberal divorce laws.

10. She believed the Bible was partial to men…..so much so she wrote a book called The Women’s Bible where sexism was discussed. Many of her colleagues in the women’s rights movement did not hold her views and many began to distance themselves from her.

11. She had a close working relationship with Susan B. Anthony where Stanton was the writer and Anthony delivered the speeches. After the Civil War when legislators were mainly focused on voting rights for black males Anthony and Stanton continued to speak out for women’s suffrage and formed the National Women’s Suffrage Association.

12. One fact I find amazing…..one of the reasons why Stanton stayed home and allowed Anthony the job of foot soldier in the movement was Stanton stayed home with her seven children. Anthony had no children and it was easier for her to travel. Interesting……

13. At her death she left behind an unmailed letter to Theodore Roosevelt asking for his support in the women’s suffrage movement.

Finally, a great quote from Stanton, “Whatever the theories may be of woman’s dependence on man, in the supreme moments of her life he can not bear her burdens.”


21 comments:

Melanie said...

I had a good time reading this...Thanks!

Dane Bramage said...

I didn't know any of this. Of course I misread you promo and thought you were writing about Candi Staton, Disco diva of "Young Hearts Run Free" fame. Yeesh boy is my face red.

Well its number 68 for me this week. I answer 13 More Questions from the 100 Question Meme. Stop by if you get a chance.

Anonymous said...

I hadn't heard of her before. She sounds like a great woman and deserves to be remembered.

Deanna Dahlsad said...

Couldn't you just hug her?! I guess I mean "hug them" because the post is grand too ;)

Happy TT (though I can't get to the official site -- servers have been down for hours...)

Unknown said...

That was awesome. I think I've heard of her before but this will inspire me to find more.

Anonymous said...

what a great blog! my hubby is a high school history teacher and I keep telling him to start a blog - I'm going to show him yours for inspiration

happy TT

EHT said...

Thanks for visiting everyone. The standard for Ga. fourth graders regarding women's rights specifically mentions Elizabeth Cady Stanton, and I thought it was about time I mentioned her here. :)

Anonymous said...

I remember her... I had to write a report on her in 10th grade. She was an inspiration to me at the time... although I had forgotten about her. At the time, I was moved by her ability to write -- and use her words to create change. I wanted to write like that.

My sixth grader did not mention her, from fourth grade, and I don't remember seeing her cross the homework pages. Hmmm.

Anonymous said...

I don't recall reading about her in my past. What an interesting lady. Happy TT to you...

Too Cute Pugs said...

I learned a bit about her in an American Women's History class I took a few years ago. I love learning about these women. They were true political pioneers.

Anonymous said...

I recognized her name but your list informed me of more than what I had known before. Great list! Thanks for compiling and sharing. And the final quote is fantabulous.

Anonymous said...

Great list. Thanks for introducing her to me and for stopping by. Blessings!

Anonymous said...

I love blogging, I learn so much each and every day. Yours was a very educational post!

Anonymous said...

Very cool post. She's one of my heros! Thanks for this informative and relative post.

Chance said...

Truly a great civil rights pioneer, but based on the honeymoon comment, possibly not a lot of fun at parties.

SandyCarlson said...

That's some way to spend a honeymoon. I admire what she did with the Bible. Thanks for the education!

Anonymous said...

Excellent quote and great list. Thank you kindly. I love your informational T13s.

Unknown said...

Thanks for the history lesson. It was great to learn more about Stanton. happy t13

storyteller said...

I always enjoy your informative T-13s. I spent many years teaching US History to 5th and 8th graders in California so this is "review" for me, but interesting all the same. Thanks for sharing.
Hugs and blessings,

ms-teacher said...

Elizabeth Cady Stanton was quite the rebel, eh? I find it amazing that more than a few of your commenters have never heard of her.

Anonymous said...

Fascinating...I just read something about her the other day and it was a real boon to get filled in on the other details.

Thanks so much for putting all this together!

Thanks for visiting ours!:
13 Great Works of Art to be Found in NYC