Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Past, Present, and Future

The American History curriculum that I teach to nine and ten year olds is basically the same course of study students receive in high school. The state assessments include questions that would give most adults a run for their money.

Dealing with students who begin the year thinking Robin Hood fought the American Revolution with help from SpongeBob and Gary the Snail and a belief that woodland creatures often broke into song with Pocohontas because "Disney says so" also makes my job daunting since "the test” is how I’m judged regarding my teaching capabilities.

That being said it is certainly an understatement to say that I love teaching history. History is one subject where small bits of knowledge can be used to review content as well as extend content in order to meet up with future content.

Confused?

Follow this link to continue reading this post regarding how a painting by Trumbull, the Battle of Bunker Hill, and a pile of rocks contributed to the character of a U.S. president.

The picture with this post is a young John Quincy Adams by John Singleton Copley.

2 comments:

said...

I can remember missing a question on a standardized test as a child because I watched a Disney film called "Ben & Me" and thought that Ben Franklin wrote the Declaration of Independence. Clearly it made an impact on me because I still remember it 20+ years later!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.