Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Thursday Thirteen: Week 15 Lesser Known American Revolution Battles

Many students are taught about the same main battles of the American Revolution such as Lexington and Concord, Bunker Hill, Trenton, Saratoga and Yorktown, but many are not taught about other smaller battles. These are just as important and can be very interesting to learn about. Here are 13 lesser known Revolutionary War battles linked to additional information.

Battle of Valcour Bay, Summer---1776

The Battle of Ft. Washington, November 16, 1776

Battle of Oriskany, August 6, 1777

Battle of Bennington, August 16, 1777

Battle of Paoli, September 20, 1777

Battle of Germantown, October 4, 1777

Battle of Princeton, January 3, 1777

Massacre at Wyoming, 1778

Battle of Kettle Creek, February 14, 1779

Battle of Camden, August 16, 1780

Battle of Hobkirks Hill, April 25, 1781

Battle of Ft. Griswold, September 6, 1781

Battle of Eutaw Springs, September 8, 1781

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very interesting! We're studying the Revolution right now in American History — this is a valuable and timely TT. Thanks!

Jennie W said...

Thanks for the list - I love stuff like this for my students!

Anonymous said...

Very coincidental! This week I'm working with some fourth graders on studying the Revolutionary War. I think I'm learning more than they are.

Alastriona, The Cats and Dogs said...

Thank you for the list. I intend to make good use of it teaching American History next year.

Di said...

I actually grew up near Oriskany so knew about that one and a couple of other ones came up when I was quizzing my 13 year old from her 82 index cards of Revolutionary War questions!!!!

Bellezza said...

Okay, instead of the new show Fox put out called, "Are You Smarter Than A Fifth Grader?" I think they should have gone with "Are You Smarter Than Elementary History Teacher?" Seriously, you should write a few questions for them. :)

KarenW said...

I love learning more about US history. Thanks!

Dan Edwards said...

There was also the Battle of Long Island.....in what is now Tennessee. IIRC, there was a Cherokee village on a "long" island in the Holsten River which was attacked by NC (Tenn) Militia in response to Cherokee attacks on "white" settlers in western N.C. ( Tenn.)

There was also a shoot-out in Bladen Co., NC between Loyalists and Rebels. IIRC, the Loyalists got themselves pinned down on the banks of the Cape Fear River.

There were also many tiny skirmishes between Loyalists and Rebels throughout the "south" ( North Carolina, South Carolina and Georgia). Many ended with several dead or executed.

As usual, an interesting post.

Here is a US Civil War trivia question for you: Where was the western-most skirmish between US troops and Confederates ?

Gattina said...

After having read all these battles I died on the battlefield with honor, lol !

Unknown said...

As you know, I'm a native New Yorker. There is still a lot of colonial and Revolutionary War history in the city.

I knew of Fort Washington because it is where the Cloisters are. An amazing view from the top of the hill (a mountain to us!).

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

Why are we humans so damn mean to each other? *sigh*

The Massacre of Wyoming's what set me off. Gross!

Happy TT; as always, thanks for visiting West of Mars!

Amy Ruttan said...

Great post. I love learning about history, I guess that's why I write historical fiction.

Great TT! Thanks for dropping by mine!

I'll have to drop by this site again!

Claire said...

This is definitely the most informative TT i have been too.

Student said...

That was very interesting - thankyou! It's nice to hear about lesser known events that were still a part of our history.